Thursday, October 22, 2009

Yixing day #1 10/15/09

Day 1:  

We were shown around the town this morning by a really nice friend of our lao ban (boss).  He took us to his gallery and then to his workshop.  I think he is more of an overseer than an artist.  He also took us to see a 600 year old dragon kiln.  The kiln is a historical site, and they still use it, but not for teapots anymore.  I was wondering how many teapots could fit into one of these huge kilns.

We then went to the Yixing historic museum.  Yixing is historically an area know for making extremely well crafted teapots, that are not glazed.  When we first had tea using the traditional type of teapot I laughed a little to myself because the teapots and teacups are so small, and I thought I would never get enough tea.  By the time we where done I was having a hard time looking at a cup of tea.  The cups small is actually really coo., because it creates a really intimate situation.  The fact that the cups must be refilled so often is a way to keep everyone dependent on the server, which keeps everyone more connected to one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment